Monday 26 May 2014

MATS Bootcamp May Editorial Illustration - Submitted!

For this month's Bootcamp assignment, we have to create an editorial illustration is to suit the article titled "How to Meditate: A Primer for People Who Don't Like to Meditate".

The author of this article is a female Acupuncturist, Doctor of Chinese Medicine, so my centre character is a lady. To add life and fun to the overall ambiance, I have included my favorite Cat and little Fish. Surrounding the characters sitting at the centre meditating, I have included all the excuses that may prevent them from concentrating in their meditation. Mobile phone vibrating, "My mind cannot settle down", "(Meditation is) Not for me", "(Meditation is) Too new age-y", "(I have a) New book idea", "Something needs to be done now", Hug a friend, "Business will fall apart", thinking of enjoying a coffee and donuts, enjoying a hot bath, etc.

I have attempted in three color variations and have decided to submit the one more intense in the blues. I feel that it makes the character(s) as well as the text "The Moment" pop better. I struggled if any text should be included indeed. At last, I used "The Moment" (and not words such as How To Meditate? etc. etc.) because "The Moment" is the focus of meditation. In the article, it has repeatedly mentioned that by meditating, it can "gently but firmly bring your mind back to the moment". The Moment is key.

I hope you enjoy my artwork - whether you like or don't like to meditate. :-)

I have submitted this one, mainly in blues.



Yellow was added to the blue background.












Blue background with yellow/red/purple accent.


No comments:

Post a Comment